Umpire The Game
Umpiring the Game
To make the whole experience of umpiring enjoyable for all concerned there are a number of things an umpire can work on.
- Providing a safe playing environment.
- Setting the tone for the game.
- Communicating well with co umpire, players and coaches.
- Maintaining a reasonable level of fitness.
- Keeping up with the current rules and interpretations of the rules.
- Applying the rules in the correct manner utilizing all of the above to help.
On this section of the site we want to provide some information to help you with all of the above. Below you will find links to the local and FIH rules and documents on rule interpretations, effective communication, positioning and signaling.
FIH Rules of the Game
Click HERE for the FIH Rules of Hockey.
Hockey WA Local Rules
- Premier League Rules
- Metropolitan and Provisional League Rules
- Masters League Rules
- Junior League Rules
Click HERE to link to a diagram showing umpire positioning for the game
Setting the Tone
Click HERE to read a document about how an umpire can create a better game environment.
Click HERE This document looks at how we can communicate better with participants to help prevent abuse and make the game more enjoyable for everyone.
Click HERE to read a document on conflict and ways that an umpire can avoid it.